If you stumble across the following error message with Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 RC:
1>[…]\Package.appxmanifest(19,64): error APPX3210: App manifest references the image ‘Assets/Icon150.png’ which does not have a candidate in main app package.
have a look a at the manifest file. In my case I had been using forward slashes in some of the asset paths. While this used to work before update 2 it now leads to an error. So to fix this I had to replace this:
and the error went away.
Recently my Windows Search started to misbehave. It consumed large amounts of memory and CPU time. In addition, the index (in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data) grew to several gigabytes.
To workaround that, I tried to reduce the indexed locations (Win + W, “change how windows searches”) and rebuild the index. So I changed the locations to only index Documents and hit “Rebuild”:
While this fixed the issues mentioned before, something new occurred. Suddenly, every time I tried to search for something in the search charm the computer began to freeze, keystrokes were not accepted at all or with a severe delay. The troubleshooter
did not produce any meaningful results and rebuilding the index did not help either.
It turned out, the solution is that you have to have your AppData folder in the indexed locations. So if you have the same problem just add
back the the indexed locations, rebuild your index, and you are good to go again.
Recently I’ve had a problem where a deployed WebApi service did not accept the DELETE verb (locally, using IISExpress it worked). The solution was to remove the WebDAV module and handler for the specific site. So extend the web.config of the WebApi project with:
<remove name="WebDAVModule" />
<remove name="WebDAV" />
Then it worked just fine.
Without much description here are two books I’ve recently read and which I can recommend:
Tip: Don’t read it while standing in a fully crowed train commuting to a customer.
2) The Dip
A bit older but nevertheless a worthwhile read:
[…] a fractal problem.
Fractal problems are those that look really simple from 100,000 feet up (like a dot) and reach unimaginable complexity as you get closer (like a fractal). There are a lot of problems of this nature (like email, transportation, ecommerce, taxation, etc.) and solving them is worth a lot of money but requires a LOT of work.
I just had a case where my Visual Studio 2013 solution failed to build even though no errors were displayed in the output pane or the log. The same happened for all the other targets (Clean Solution etc.). Building from the command line using msbuild directly, on the other hand, worked fine. The solution (as in previous VS versions) was to delete the user-specific settings. So a quick:
del /s /q *.user
fixed the problem for me.
While porting a rather large native application to Window 8 (Windows Store application) I encountered some startup problems. Errors like the following appeared:
Microsoft Visual Studio
Unable to activate Windows Store app ‘bf60ce1b-2569-4c4c-b319-0b3a2c9c1374_7qc4g378g6z3m!App’. The XXXXX.exe process started, but the activation request failed with error ‘The app didn’t start’.
The linked help page points to the event log located at:
Application and Services Log\Microsoft\Windows\Immersive-Shell folder.
However, there is no log at this place. The general application log then points to:
Activation of app 716190BC-25B0-45AB-A34E-4174A7ACEA5F_7qc4g378g6z3m!App failed with error: The app didn’t start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.
This log is also a bit difficult to find, it’s located below the “Apps” folder:
In the end the problems were caused by external dlls which were not build correctly.